Online Master’s Degree in investing, financing, financial risks, business control and growth
Introduction to the Master’s Degree in Financial Management
The Master’s Degree in Financial Management from OBS has been recognised as the Best Online Master’s in the financial field by the Latin American Ranking of training in Spanish 2015.
The Master’s Degree in Financial Management in Spanish from OBS promotes the development of executive skills and provides comprehensive training in finances. We offer a completely renewed and updated programme (with subjects related to capital risk, business valuation, derivatives, mergers and acquisitions), one of the most advanced in the international market, which is a key factor when deciding upon a course in a field that changes as rapidly as finances does.
The programme integrates all the knowledge that is required from the start of a business’ operations to its growth, all the way to the incorporation of a group of companies. From the financial activity of a SME to the financial leadership of a group of companies and the subsequent obligation to consolidate the financial information.
Students from the postgraduate course in Financial Management at OBS-UB, teached in Spanish, will strengthen their skills to enable them to fit the trends demanded by the global labour market and the requirements demanded by the major companies looking for financial experts.
Some of the sectors you could go into are the following:
- Investment banking
- Boutique financial advising
- Financial advising boutiques
- Venture capital funds
- Private banking
- NGOs and microfinance
- Hedge funds
- Private equity
- Asset Management
- Multinational companies
- Small and medium enterprises
- Regulatory bodies
- Multilateral financial institutions
- Sovereign wealth funds
- Family offices
Aims of the Master’s Degree
- Diagnosing the asset situation of companies.
- Making investing and financing decisions, assessing their impact on the company.
- Understanding how markets work and how to evaluate the negotiated assets.
- Managing the financial risks to which a company is exposed.
- Awareness of the global nature of the activity of a company and the new role of Financial Directors.
- Designing financial strategies that are aligned with the company’s strategy.
- Implementing financial policies for the appropriate management of the treasury, investments and fiscal planning.
- Knowing the technological tools for managing information.
- Promoting teamwork among the members of the Financial Department.
- Assessing the financial implications of business growth or international operations.
Syllabus of the Master’s Degree in Financial Management
The programme is divided into five modules:
- Finances: Financial Department
- Financing: Financing sources; international finances
- Investment: Selection of investments; business valuation; mergers and acquisitions
- Management: Diagnosis, planning and control; treasury management; risk management; information systems
- Final Project
> Financial Department
The Financial Department module is the starting point of the programme, in which the main features of the financial department are detailed within the context of a business. Of the various divisions within a company under the supervision and management of the CEO, the Financial Department is likely to be the most far reaching and its decisions will have the most significant impact on the business as a whole.
> Financing Sources
The financing sources module analyses all the alternatives and options that businesses have for financing their operations. Depending on the type of business, its sector of activity and geographical location, financing sources will be more or less diverse, and the purpose of the financial director is to find the most suitable.
> International finances
The International finances module is aligned with the latest highly internationalised business trends that exist today. An important defining feature of the business environment of the early 21st century is the need for internationalisation or globalisation. All companies need to be able to develop their potential not just in their national market, but also in the context of an international global economy. Therefore, companies don’t just need to sell their products abroad, they also need to be financed in markets outside of their local territory.
> Selection of Investments
The Selection of Investments module tackles all the divisions of the financial department in relation to the use of funds acquired from the main funding suppliers. Once these funds are within the company, they will need to be invested in order to create value for the stakeholders.
> Company Valuation
The company valuation module is multifaceted and applies and relates to a number of modules, like mergers and acquisitions, financing sources or selection of investments. In this module you will learn the main tools and methods related to finances.
> Mergers and Acquisitions
The mergers and acquisitions module will analyse corporate operations departments from an international perspective, and the reasons why companies carry out these corporate movements. Cross-border mergers are frequent in an increasingly complex and globalised world, and in this module we will analyse their advantages and inconveniences.
> Diagnosis, Planning and Control
The Diagnosis, Planning and Control module comprises most of the control activities carried out by the financial department.
> Treasury Management
The Treasury Management module tackles the management of a company’s current assets, its cash, clients, supplies and suppliers. Managing the cash flow or treasury implies determining the operational needs of the funds over time. You will also study the key aspects of negotiations with financial entities aimed at obtaining these resources, should they be necessary.
> Risk Management
The Risk management module falls within the financial-economic context in which business is currently carried out. The complexity of the daily running of a business is now combined with the speed and constant changes which a business’ agents now have to tackle and overcome. This, combined with globalisation and the global economic and financial crisis of recent years creates an increase to the doubts involved with the decision-making process. In general, risks have increased and have now become a strategic aspect of a company.
> Information Systems
In the Information Systems module, the role of technology within the financial department will be analysed and studied. Information is essential for decision making, and the importance of financial decisions emphasises the need for reliable, flexible and efficient information systems that provide access to information. This module analyses aspects such as the generation of added value through available information, turning information into knowledge or implementing an information system in a financial department.
The Final Project consists of a project realised by teams concerning a pervasive subject related to the programme.
Developing a Final Project allows students to gather the financial knowledge that they have acquired and apply it to a specific situation. Although the method and key concepts of the Project are initially worked on in groups, in the final stages, lecturers will advise each individual student about the execution of their project. Depending on the content of a project, a lecturer specialising in the field will grade and provide advice.
- Talks, seminars and workshops
The Master’s Degree in Financial Management from OBS is completed with talks, seminars and workshops that will be organised as part of each block. These seminars will be delivered by renowned professionals from the financial sector who, via videoconferences, will share their experience and practical cases with the students.
Highlights among the programme’s seminars include, for instance, those which involve professionals from auditing departments (Deloitte, EY, PWC or KPMG), banking (Santander or BBVA) and professionals with experience in financial departments from multinational companies from the energy or health sectors. These professionals will give talks in each of the programme blocks, and students will have the chance to discuss and debate the actual cases later on.
- Simulations and practical cases
The content of the programme contains a large theoretical component to provide the students with the opportunity to strengthen their skills, but it also regards finances as a social area in which actors make decisions in a context where they encounter competitors, regulators or people of different profiles. This means that the practical component of the programme is essential and it completes the theory-based training. Therefore, during the course, discussions about current and interesting affairs will be organised as part of each of the subjects, as well as decision-making simulations applied to real situations and the preparation of practical cases that will analyse, from an academic perspective, the issues at hand and their proposed solutions, as well as the criteria taken into account for the execution of these solutions.
Requirements of the Master’s Degree in Financial Management
The main aim of our admissions process is to ensure that the candidates are ideal for the course. All the students must be able to take the maximum value out of this learning experience, through a context in which it is possible to develop lasting connections with fellow students, teachers and the alumni.
These are the stages of the admissions process:
1. Prerequisites for admission
3. Personal interview
4. Cover letter
5. Admissions Committee Evaluations
Master’s Degree in Financial Management Certificate
The people who pass the programme evaluation and comply with the academic requirements, established by the University of Barcelona (UB), will receive a UB qualification.
In order to obtain a UB qualification, you need to have a University Degree (Engineer’s Degree, Bachelor’s Degree for four years or Bachelor’s Degree for three years). If you do not have a University Degree, once you have passed the different evaluations you will receive an extension diploma from UB.
Scholarships for the Master’s Degree in Financial Management
OBS is now offering candidates a Scholarship Programme with a view to encouraging continuous education of professionals, entrepreneurs and directors. To apply for one of these scholarships, which finance part of the programme, the candidates must be accepted onto the programme and comply with the specified requirements.
The Scholarship and Admissions Committee will take into account the suitability of the profile and the professional career of the candidates, the reasons given in the scholarship application letter and the professional and academic recommendations of the candidate.
Currently the following scholarships are on offer:
OBS Experience Scholarship
Objective: to advance continuous education of future professionals through OBS Methodology Online, which is registered as its own model of online education.
Requirements: candidates without previous experience in online education models and who meet the academic and curricular requirements of the programme in question.
Director Profile Scholarship
Objective: to advance managing skills in those candidates with extensive professional experience.
Requirements: scholarship for candidates with more than three years of professional experience in positions of responsibility, who wish to acquire management skills to further their professional career.
Online Business Management Scholarship
Objective: to promote the generation of companies founded on the Internet, as well as the creation of new business models based on the network and digitalisation of traditional businesses that still do not operate online.
Requirements: candidates who wish to acquire the knowledge and skills to tackle the internet and launch new digital business models, whether it is in their own company or as a director.
Programme Director Master in Financial Management
- Founding Partner of RESA Corporate Finance
- Degree in Business Management and Administration from ICADE and MBA with Honours from IMD (Switzerland)
- Experience in national and international investment banking and lecturer at several universities
- Assistant European Corporate Controller & Internal Auditor at KAO Corporation
- Master’s Degree in Auditing from UVIC
- Degree in Business and Economic Sciences from UB
Jordi Badal Ferrés
- Former Head of Treasury for Grupo Godó de Comunicación
- PDD from IESE
- Degree in Business and Economic Sciences from UB
- Partner and SME consultant at External Partners (www.externalpartners.es)
- Executive MBA from ESADE
- Degree in Business and Economic Sciences from UB
- Founding Partner at Sigma Consulting – Arekia
- Executive MBA from EAE
- Postgraduate in Information Systems Management from UB
- Computer Engineering from UPC
- Diploma in International Trade from the Chamber of Commerce of Barcelona
- Diploma in Quantitative and Computing Methods from UB
- Degree in Economic and Business Sciences (specialism in Economics) from UB
- Member of the Spanish Institute of Financial Analysts, the Catalan Association of Artificial Intelligence
- Investments Director at Allianz Popular
- Member of the Investment committee at Popular Banca Privada and Banco Popular
- PhD in Economics from Universidad San Pablo-CEU
- Degree in Economics from Autonomous University of Madrid
- Head of international departments at various financial institutions.
- Since 2000 he has worked in executive positions at various companies in the world of international trade.
- Head of administration at the online newspaper, “Economía Digital”.
- Degree in Economic and Business Sciences UB.
Pedro García Crespo
- Director of the Department of Structured Financing at GESTAMP EOLICA, S.L.
- International Executive MBA from IE Business School
- Master’s Degree in Project Management from European University of Madrid
- Degree in Road, Canal and Port engineering, specialising in Transports, from the Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Albert Tomás Vidal
- Dedication60 ECTS
- InitiationMay 2018
- Term10 months
- Price6.500 €