Online Master’s Degree in financial investment advising and management
Introduction to the Master’s Degree in Finance Consulting and Asset Management
The aim of the Master’s Degree in Finance Consulting and Asset Management is to provide professionals from the field of financial and asset advising with the knowledge, abilities and skills they will need to carry out their activities within a globalised, diverse and multidisciplinary environment.
In recent years, Asset management has been one of the economic areas that have undergone significant transformations, mainly based on three pillars: banks, which have widened their offer and the range of financial products which can be invested in, financial markets, of increasing complexity, closely interrelated with geopolitical news and the speed at which events happen, and lastly, individuals, who are now more educated in finance, which favours a more active and direct participation in the management of their assets. The current level of complexity is greater, and therefore we need highly specialised professionals.
The OBS Master’s Degree in Finance Consulting and Asset Management, teached in Spanish, will provide the skills required to obtain the various Professional Certificates for Financial Advisors from the EFPA (European Financial Planning Association). You will also be provided with professional training from an international perspective so that you can successfully develop your professional career in the financial markets, whilst acquiring comprehensive skills for the banking business and the management of portfolios and assets, and their respective associated services.
Some of the sectors you could go into are the following:
- Fund management
- Financial advising boutiques
- Asset management
- Private banking
- EAFI Hedge funds
- Regulating bodies
- Asset management
- Family offices
- Commercial banking
Aims of the Master’s Degree
- Defining the idiosyncrasies of the various international financial markets according to their type (fixed income, equity and currencies).
- Personalised analysis of prospective clients and the parameters that need to be considered in order to recommend a specific investment.
- Knowledge of the factors related to the international macroeconomic and geopolitical context that influences the financial markets and determines the definition of an investment strategy.
- Identifying the main features, advantages and inconveniences of the various investment alternatives.
- Studying the psychology of the investor in order to learn and assess the personal and familial motivations that will determine their investment decisions.
Syllabus of the Master’s Degree in Finance Consulting and Asset Management
The programme runs for twelve months, it comprises a ten-module structure divided into 3 blocks, and a final project that is worked on throughout the year. Additional learning activities will also be organised, like workshops, seminars, and simulations, which will complement the academic content with practice from real-life situations.
Block 1: Banking and Financial Markets
> The Economic Context and the Financial Markets
In the economic context and the financial markets module we will analyse the most relevant economic indicators from the contemporary environment in order to analyse and make alternative investment decisions. Likewise, we will study the different types of financial markets and their main features.
> Banking Management
In the Banking Management module we will study how a financial institution works and focus on its particularities from a strategic, organisational and regulatory perspective.
> Quantitative Foundations of Investment
In the Quantitative Foundations of Investment module we will look at the main quantitative techniques and methods used to guarantee strength and efficacy when making financial decisions (financial calculations, statistics, analysis of evidence, etc.).
> Financial Instruments and Markets
In the Financial Instruments and Markets module we will study the macroeconomic factors affecting the yield of an investment, how the financial system works and the various markets that operate within it.
Block 2: Investor
> Advising, Financial Planning, Estate Planning and Fiscal Planning
Advising, Financial Planning, Estate Planning and Fiscal Planning is the core module of the programme and the link between the first block, which offers a more general perspective and covers financial markets and banking institutions, and the second block, which focuses on the alternative options that investors have when making decisions.
Block 3: Alternatives and Products
> Financial Products
In the Financial Products module we will study the various investment products: public fixed and variable income assets, equity assets, derivative financial products, alongside “structured financial products” from the perspectives of both their valuation and their utilisation within the financial strategy.
> Fundamental Analysis and Technical Analysis
In the Fundamental Analysis and Technical Analysis module we will complete the study of the financial products analysed in module 6, by analysing the valuation of each of them and the knowledge that these methods provide to the investor so that they can determine their return on investment.
> Collective Investment Institutions
In the Collective Investment institutions module we will further our knowledge about financial products from the perspective of collective investment institutions (national and international).
> Portfolio Management
In the Portfolio Management module we will develop the theoretical and practical asset management models and analyse the whole selection process, both for assets and for the management of asset portfolios, from setting targets to measuring efficacy.
> Private Banking
In the Private Banking module we will study the private banking sector, as an institution whose purpose is the provision of professional advising and asset management services. Likewise, we will develop the policies and marketing strategies that are most appropriate for the trade and marketing of financial products and services, while also focusing on the different types of clients.
Masters's Degree Final Project
In the Final Project of the Master in Financial Counseling and Asset Management the student performs the simulation of an investment portfolio. The students will form teams and will have the possibility of applying to a quasi-real case all the concepts applied throughout the program. The work will begin at the beginning of the program where the students will have a theoretical initial budget and will have to select an investment portfolio that will be called initial portfolio. This initial portfolio will be the starting point on which the work will be based. Then, the students that will be grouped by teams, will have to make and propose a definitive portfolio based on all the content that is learned in the subject. This final portfolio would be the best recommendation to a potential investor and, in addition to the selection of the assets, it will be necessary to identify those decisions of the initial portfolio that, after having completed the Master and learned the concepts, the team thinks they were wrong and that therefore they should be changed. The final master's work will have a written part that is delivered at the end of the program, as well as a presentation to a court where the team will explain the portfolio selected and the reasoning of the selection.
Requirements of the Master’s Degree in Finance Consulting
The main aim of our admissions process is to ensure that the candidates are ideal for the course. All the students must be able to take the maximum value out of this learning experience, through a context in which it is possible to develop lasting connections with fellow students, teachers and the alumni.
These are the stages of the admissions process:
1. Prerequisites for admission
3. Personal interview
4. Cover letter
5. Admissions Committee Evaluations
Master’s Degree in Finance Consulting and Asset Management
The people who pass the programme evaluation and comply with the academic requirements, established by the University of Barcelona (UB), will receive the OBS certification: Master's Degree on Financial Consulting and Asset Management as well as the private degree qualification awarded by OBS-UB: Master's Degree on Banking, Financial Markets and Asset Management.
In order to obtain a UB qualification, you need to have a University Degree (Engineer’s Degree, Bachelor’s Degree for four years or Bachelor’s Degree for three years). If you do not have a University Degree, once you have passed the different evaluations you will receive an extension diploma from UB.
Programme Director Master in Finance Consulting
- Founding Partner of RESA Corporate Finance
- Degree in Business Management and Administration from ICADE and MBA with Honours from IMD (Switzerland)
- Experience in national and international investment banking and lecturer at several universities
- Senior Business Analyst en Citigroup (Tampa)
- Master’s Degree in Finances from Florida International University (Miami, USA)
- Master’s Degree in Economics from Carleton University (Ottawa, Canada)
Arnold M. Pérez
- Managing Partner at ARO Consultores
- Master’s Degree in Financial Management
- Postgraduate studies in Executive Management
Pedro García Crespo
- Director of the Department of Structured Financing at GESTAMP EOLICA, S.L. He leads the Project and Corporate Finance processes in countries such as Brazil, South Africa, Mexico, the United States, Belgium, Spain, Poland and Turkey. It also manages operational financing in these markets.
- International Executive MBA from IE Business School
- Master’s Degree in Project Management from European University of Madrid
- Degree in Road, Canal and Port engineering, specialising in Transports, from the Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Director of the Structured Finance Department of GestampWind
Experience in financial and investment departments in numerous multinational companies in Spain Civil Engineer, Channels and Ports and MBA by IE Business School
- Investment Director of Allianz Popular (Allianz Group).
- PhD in Economics from the San Pablo University-CEU.
- Member of the investment committee of Popular Banca Privada and the high-income committee of Banco Popular.
- Associate professor at IE Business School and CUNEF
- Bachelor of Business Administration and Management
- EMBA by IESE Business School.
- Partner and SME consultant at External Partners (www.externalpartners.es)
- Executive MBA from ESADE
- Degree in Business and Economic Sciences from UB
- Credit analyst. Professor of Economics / Finance and mathematics and researcher.
- Business Report Leader and Credit Analyst en GCP Applied Technologies
- Lecturer and researcher of Economics, Finance and mathematics
- Mathematician and Financer
Emilio Vizuete Luciano
- Bankia Empresas: Head of the Businesses section
- PhD in Business Studies (DEEUB) from the University of Barcelona (UB)
- Degree in Business Administration and Management with specialism in Marketing from the University of Barcelona (UB)
- Diploma in Business Sciences, Accounting and Auditing from University of Barcelona (UB)
- KPMG Advisor (Forensic Department).
- Lecturer in master in accounting, auditing, and capital markets of the Autonomous University of Madrid
Degree in Business Administration and Management from the Universidad Pontificia de Comillas ICADE.
- Dedication60 ECTS
- InitiationMay 2019
- Term10 months
- Price6.500 €