Online Master’s Degree in business intelligence oriented towards decision-making
Introduction to the Master’s Degree in Business Intelligence (BI)
The role of BI and business analytics is gaining increasing relevance in the companies of today. Competitive intelligence must be the driver of the strategic decisions of companies, regardless of their size and the sector in which they operate. BI experts focus on finding value in all the data gathered by a company and its compression for their application. Business intelligence helps to gather information, analyse it and, more importantly, make the strategic recommendations that will give the company a competitive advantage.
The Master’s Degree in Business Intelligence in Spanish from OBS offers a unique and rigorous approach to your education in business. By integrating technology and putting special emphasis on the development of analytical skills, this programme will provide you with the foundations so you can effectively extract and assess the data required for making decisions. This expertise will allow you to stand out in the business intelligence field, as you will be acquiring key skills from the perspective of a business.
The concept of Business Intelligence is associated with powerful and recognised tools that seem to be reserved for large corporations. This MBI has been designed to break this cliché and, although it will provide you with knowledge and skills that are applicable to large corporations, it will also allow you to become familiar with and understand the needs and opportunities for improvement in the ways small and medium companies treat their data.
The OBS MBI is part of the Teradata University Network (TUN). Currently, over 3,000 lecturers are involved with TUN from 1,600 universities spread across 90 countries, with thousands of students as users.
Teradata University Network is a web-based portal for teachers and students from the fields of Business Intelligence, data warehousing, decision-support systems and database management.
Career prospects of the Online Master’s Degree in Business Intelligence
- Investment banking
- General manufacturing and production
- e-Commerce and Social Media
- Multinational companies
- Information Technology companies
- Retail companies
- Private banking
- Insurance companies
- Asset management
- Multilateral financial institutions
- Family offices
Aims of the Master’s Degree in Business Intelligence
- Acquiring skills for the decision-making process
- Identifying the main Business Intelligence tools available in the market and understanding the selection process
- Becoming familiar with the elements that make up a Business Intelligence architecture
- Acquiring practical skills in the use of Business Intelligence
- Being able to manage change and customer relationships
- Acquiring all the skills related to the management of Business Intelligence projects
Syllabus of the Master’s Degree in Business Intelligence
The teaching programme unfolds over twelve months and is comprised of a ten-module structure that correspond to each subject, plus a Business Game and a Final Project that is worked on throughout the year.
Data Management and the Society of Information
This module allows you to view all elements covered by Data Management and to understand the architecture of Business Intelligence within a companies’ Information Technology (IT) platforms. This course aims to provide you with a 360-degree view of the components of a Business Intelligence Architecture, encompassing technical and functional aspects of the business in a contemporary environment that is related to these technologies.
Strategic Management of Business Intelligence Systems
The strategic management of technology and innovation is one of the keys to success when it comes to the growth of businesses in the current century. This success will largely depend on the ability to foresee growth and improvement needs and the decisions over the systems that will support the necessary organisational changes.
Balanced scorecards, monitoring statistics and graphs are all resources commonly used by the upper management of a company. But the same tools may or may not be used in the context of an intelligent management system. In this module you will analyse intelligent decision-making systems, expert systems and other decision-support systems.
This module will provide you with the fundamental concepts and necessary tools to understand the new role of business analytics within organisations. It also focuses on how to apply basic business analysis tools in a competitive environment, and ways to communicate with professional analysts in order to use and interpret analytical models and their results effectively to make optimal business decisions.
Assessment and selection of BI tools
In this module you will acquire a general overview of the Business Intelligence tools in the market. Other than learning about all the tools, you will also learn to identify the main features and indicators that need to be taken into account when choosing these tools, so you will understand the main elements that need to be considered when assessing and acquiring a BI tool.
The course will also introduce you to using Microsoft Power Pivot, an innovative and powerful tool based on MS Excel and designed for all kinds of users. It is mostly used by businesses wishing to explore and extract as most profit as possible by overcoming their technical knowledge limitations.
Management of Business Intelligence projects
The main feature of Business Intelligence platforms are that they support business operations from a decision-making perspective, not just at management level but also operational, strategic and tactical.
In this module we will focus on approaching project management through emphasising the management of BI projects, while also establishing the starting point for the master’s final project.
Practical Workshop: Qlikview
This module provides you with the opportunity to establish direct and tangible contact with the content learned throughout the Master’s, while maintaining a business and technical approach. Currently, Qlikview is introduced as one of the best-known and most widely used tools for Business Intelligence. It is incorporated in Gartner: Magic Quadrant for Business Intelligence and Analytics Platforms.
CRM and Business Intelligence
In this module you will learn about the key aspects of rational marketing, its concepts and strategies, and the opportunities, implementation strategies and advantages of various CRM tools. All of which are oriented towards improving the quality of customer service and customer loyalty.
We have often seen organisations make great technological decisions that have brought an improvement in the short term, but have hampered the company’s evolution and growth in the medium- and long-term. In this module, and primarily through case analyses, you will analyse the key factors to be considered in the design and launch of a project aimed at improving an organisation’s information systems.
Ethical and Legal Aspects of Business Intelligence
In this module you will acquire the essential concepts for legally protecting BI tools, how to make them profitable and how to manage their intellectual property. This module will teach you the key factors of the international legal framework regarding the use and protection of data and you will also learn the criteria for deciding how to proceed in cases where, even if no legislation applies, ethics guides us to make prudent use of the information.
Master’s Degree Final Project: Development and Management of a Business Intelligence project
The Final Project is an essential part of the Master’s Degree in Business Intelligence. While working on it, you will have to take into account all the aspects that are related to the development and management of a Business Intelligence project, defining the strategic positioning of the company within its sector and designing the implementation of the measures and business policies that you consider most appropriate for achieving the goals related to the field of Business Intelligence, both in the medium- and long-term.
- Webinars with experts
Over the course of the programme, a series of Webinars will be organised with experts in information technologies, BI trends, leading suppliers (Gartner Magic Quadrant) of Business Intelligence software and decision-support systems for multiple functional areas: QlikTech, Microstrategy, SAP, IBM, Sales Force…
Requirements of the Master’s Degree in Business Intelligence
The main aim of our admissions process is to ensure that the candidates are ideal for the course. All the students must be able to take the maximum value out of this learning experience, through a context in which it is possible to develop lasting connections with fellow students, teachers and the alumni.
These are the stages of the admissions process:
1. Prerequisites for admission
3. Personal interview
4. Cover letter
5. Admissions Committee Evaluations
Master’s Degree in Business Intelligence Certificate
The people who pass the programme evaluation and comply with the academic requirements, established by the University of Barcelona (UB), will receive a UB qualification.
In order to obtain a UB qualification, you need to have a University Degree (Engineer’s Degree, Bachelor’s Degree over four years or Bachelor’s Degree over three years). If you do not have a University Degree, once you have passed all the evaluations you will receive an extension diploma from UB.
Programme Director Master in Business Intelligence
- PMP – PMI
- Master’s Degree in Project Management, AEDE Business School, Madrid
- Project Manager with more than 15 years’ experience in the IT sector
- Postgraduate Degree in Business Management, Univ. Simón Bolívar, Venezuela
- Computer Science, University of Nueva Esparta, Venezuela
- IT Service/Project Manager
- More than 15 years of experience leading business transformations and continous improvement focused on the customer
- Certificated PMP, ITIL, TOGAF, COBIT, Lean IT
- MBA (UCAB) and Master in Management (UIPR)
- Computer Engineer (USB)
Matthew Charles Alexander
- Director of Business Intelligence Projects at Isban, Grupo Santander, through the company Infoaván Soluciones, S.L.
- Diploma in Business and Marketing (UK)
- Master’s Degree in Business Intelligence (Spain)
- Business Intelligence at Grupo ICA
- Analysis and development of Business Intelligence solutions (Pentaho) for Eulen Group
- Master’s Degree in Business Intelligence
Manuel López Paya
- General Director of Systems – CIO at MásMóvil Group
- Ibercom at MásMóvil
Jesús Cristobal Asorey
- Business Intelligence and Qlik Expert
- SAND Director
José Ángel Olivas
- Professor at Universidad Castilla la Mancha y Universidad Pontificada Comillas
- Doctor in Informatics Engineering
- Master in Knowledge Engineering
- Customer Strategy Analyst en Janssen Inc.
- Licenciada en Administración y Dirección Empresas e Investigación en Técnicas de Mercado (Universidad San Pablo - CEU)
- Máster en Big Data and Business Analytics, Data Scientist, Big Data and Business Analytics (CIFF Business School)
- Mentor in Artificial Intelligence PWN.
- Master in Advanced Artificial Intelligence.
- Graduated in Mathematical Sciences.
Joan Torres Moreno
- Order Mgmt. and Distribution Competence Centre Manager at Volkswagen Group
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration (MBA)
- Superior Degree in Telecommunications Engineering
- Dedication60 ECTS
- InitiationMay 2018
- Term10 months
- Price6.500 €