Online Master’s Degree in business intelligence oriented towards decision-making
Introduction to the Master’s Degree in Business Intelligence (BI)
The role of BI and business analytics is gaining increasing relevance in the companies of today. Competitive intelligence must be the driver of the strategic decisions of companies, regardless of their size and the sector in which they operate. BI experts focus on finding value in all the data gathered by a company and its compression for their application. Business intelligence helps to gather information, analyse it and, more importantly, make the strategic recommendations that will give the company a competitive advantage.
The Master’s Degree in Business Intelligence in Spanish from OBS offers a unique and rigorous approach to your education in business. By integrating technology and putting special emphasis on the development of analytical skills, this programme will provide you with the foundations so you can effectively extract and assess the data required for making decisions. This expertise will allow you to stand out in the business intelligence field, as you will be acquiring key skills from the perspective of a business.
The concept of Business Intelligence is associated with powerful and recognised tools that seem to be reserved for large corporations. This MBI has been designed to break this cliché and, although it will provide you with knowledge and skills that are applicable to large corporations, it will also allow you to become familiar with and understand the needs and opportunities for improvement in the ways small and medium companies treat their data.
The OBS MBI is part of the Teradata University Network (TUN). Currently, over 3,000 lecturers are involved with TUN from 1,600 universities spread across 90 countries, with thousands of students as users.
Teradata University Network is a web-based portal for teachers and students from the fields of Business Intelligence, data warehousing, decision-support systems and database management.
Career prospects of the Online Master’s Degree in Business Intelligence
- Investment banking
- General manufacturing and production
- e-Commerce and Social Media
- Multinational companies
- Information Technology companies
- Retail companies
- Private banking
- Insurance companies
- Asset management
- Multilateral financial institutions
- Family offices
Aims of the Master’s Degree in Business Intelligence
- Acquiring skills for the decision-making process
- Identifying the main Business Intelligence tools available in the market and understanding the selection process
- Becoming familiar with the elements that make up a Business Intelligence architecture
- Acquiring practical skills in the use of Business Intelligence
- Being able to manage change and customer relationships
- Acquiring all the skills related to the management of Business Intelligence projects
Syllabus of the Master’s Degree in Business Intelligence
The teaching programme unfolds over twelve months and is comprised of a ten-module structure that correspond to each subject, plus a Business Game and a Final Project that is worked on throughout the year.
Data Management and the Society of Information
This module allows you to view all elements covered by Data Management and to understand the architecture of Business Intelligence within a companies’ Information Technology (IT) platforms. This course aims to provide you with a 360-degree view of the components of a Business Intelligence Architecture, encompassing technical and functional aspects of the business in a contemporary environment that is related to these technologies.
Strategic Management of Business Intelligence Systems
The strategic management of technology and innovation is one of the keys to success when it comes to the growth of businesses in the current century. This success will largely depend on the ability to foresee growth and improvement needs and the decisions over the systems that will support the necessary organisational changes.
Balanced scorecards, monitoring statistics and graphs are all resources commonly used by the upper management of a company. But the same tools may or may not be used in the context of an intelligent management system. In this module you will analyse intelligent decision-making systems, expert systems and other decision-support systems.
This module will provide you with the fundamental concepts and necessary tools to understand the new role of business analytics within organisations. It also focuses on how to apply basic business analysis tools in a competitive environment, and ways to communicate with professional analysts in order to use and interpret analytical models and their results effectively to make optimal business decisions.
Big Data and the digital transformation of business
There have often been great technological bets in organizations that have meant an improvement in the short term but a drag on the evolution and growth of the company in the medium and long term. In this module, fundamentally from the analysis of cases, you will analyze the key factors to consider in the design and launching of a project to improve the information systems of an organization.
Management of Business Intelligence projects
The main feature of Business Intelligence platforms are that they support business operations from a decision-making perspective, not just at management level but also operational, strategic and tactical.
In this module we will focus on approaching project management through emphasising the management of BI projects, while also establishing the starting point for the master’s final project.
Evaluation and Selection of BI Tools
In this module you will obtain an overview of the Business Intelligence tools that are found in the market. Beyond knowing all the tools themselves, it will allow you to identify the main characteristics and indicators to take into account in the process of selecting these, it offers you to understand the main elements to be considered for the evaluation and acquisition of a BI tool. On the other hand, the course introduces you to the use of Microsoft Power Pivot, a new and powerful tool based on MS Excel, designed for all types of users, especially used by business users who want to explore and extract the best benefit from their data. , overcoming the limitations of technical knowledge.
Data Mining, the Role of the Data Scientist
This course focuses on offering the student a comprehensive vision of data mining as a process that generates value for the business. Functions, characteristics, good practices, etc. With a practical theoretical approach, the role of the Data Scientist will be understood, one of the disciplines related to the most requested information currently in the organizational world.
Data Discovery Practice with Qlik
This module offers the student the possibility of establishing a direct and tangible contact with concepts seen throughout the Master, maintaining at all times a business and technical approach.
In this module the student can learn to build reports and present them. The presentation of information is a key factor for decision making and for the managerial vision of the business.
Master’s Degree Final Project: Development and Management of a Business Intelligence project
The Final Project is an essential part of the Master’s Degree in Business Intelligence. While working on it, you will have to take into account all the aspects that are related to the development and management of a Business Intelligence project, defining the strategic positioning of the company within its sector and designing the implementation of the measures and business policies that you consider most appropriate for achieving the goals related to the field of Business Intelligence, both in the medium- and long-term.
- Webinars with experts
Over the course of the programme, a series of Webinars will be organised with experts in information technologies, BI trends, leading suppliers (Gartner Magic Quadrant) of Business Intelligence software and decision-support systems for multiple functional areas: QlikTech, Microstrategy, SAP, IBM, Sales Force…
Requirements of the Master’s Degree in Business Intelligence
The main aim of our admissions process is to ensure that the candidates are ideal for the course. All the students must be able to take the maximum value out of this learning experience, through a context in which it is possible to develop lasting connections with fellow students, teachers and the alumni.
These are the stages of the admissions process:
1. Prerequisites for admission
3. Personal interview
4. Cover letter
5. Admissions Committee Evaluations
Master’s Degree in Business Intelligence Certificate
The people who pass the programme evaluation and comply with the academic requirements, established by the University of Barcelona (UB), will receive a UB qualification.
In order to obtain a UB qualification, you need to have a University Degree (Engineer’s Degree, Bachelor’s Degree over four years or Bachelor’s Degree over three years). If you do not have a University Degree, once you have passed all the evaluations you will receive an extension diploma from UB.
Programme Director Master in Business Intelligence
- Business and Project Manager in Praiker IT
- PMP (PMI) Certified.
Jesús Cristobal Asorey
- Business Intelligence and Qlik Expert
- SAND Director
- IT Service/Project Manager
- More than 15 years of experience leading business transformations and continous improvement focused on the customer
- Certificated PMP, ITIL, TOGAF, COBIT, Lean IT
- MBA (UCAB) and Master in Management (UIPR)
- Computer Engineer (USB)
Matthew Charles Alexander
- Director of Business Intelligence Projects at Isban, Grupo Santander, through the company Infoaván Soluciones, S.L.
- Diploma in Business and Marketing (UK)
- Master’s Degree in Business Intelligence (Spain)
- Business Intelligence at Grupo ICA
- Analysis and development of Business Intelligence solutions (Pentaho) for Eulen Group
- Master’s Degree in Business Intelligence
- Chief Data Officer en Comdata España & Latam
- Degree in Economics and Business Management, Universidad de Buenos Aires
Joan Torres Moreno
- Executive Director of Organization and Information Systems. GM Food Ibérica.
- MBA Specialty Dir. Operations. ESADE Barcelona.
- E-Business Master. La Salle. URL Barcelona.
- Telecommunications Engineer Univ. Polytechnic of Catalonia (UPC). Barcelona
José Ángel Olivas
- Professor at Universidad Castilla la Mancha y Universidad Pontificada Comillas
- Doctor in Informatics Engineering
- Master in Knowledge Engineering
- Customer Strategy Analyst en Janssen Inc.
- Licenciada en Administración y Dirección Empresas e Investigación en Técnicas de Mercado (Universidad San Pablo - CEU)
- Máster en Big Data and Business Analytics, Data Scientist, Big Data and Business Analytics (CIFF Business School)
- Mentor in Artificial Intelligence PWN.
- Master in Advanced Artificial Intelligence.
- Graduated in Mathematical Sciences.
Manuel López Paya
- General Director of Systems – CIO at MásMóvil Group
- Ibercom at MásMóvil
- Dedication60 ECTS
- InitiationMay 2019
- Term10 months
- Price6.500 €