Digital Health Management
Master online in health technology
The computerization and digitization of health organizations began in the 80s of the last century. From that moment until now, the computer function has progressively gained importance: all health organizations, regardless of size, have a computer department, whose objective is, among others, to support the care processes and improve the health of the population. Although the evolution of this activity since its origins is more than visible, in recent years the irruption and vertiginous evolution of the new Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) and the consequent changes in social patterns have led to health organizations to rethink its strategy, focusing not only on the quantity but on the quality of the activity and services: that is, on the generation of value. In turn, the role of the Director of Information Technology has become key in the process of developing innovation and improvement strategies that adapt to the needs of the increasingly demanding population and of organizations in the efficient management of available resources.
In this context, the Master in Digital Health Management of OBS Business School was born with the aim of responding to the need for professionals specialized in the management of ICT in Health in the public and private sector, as well as in the companies providing technological solutions with capacities for the organization, planning, management and supervision of organizations and complex ICT projects, critical analysis and decision making.
For this, the program presents 10 key points:
- Health, health system, eHealth and the transformation of the traditional system to digital health
- Electronic Clinical History and Interoperability
- Impact on the provision of assistance services
- Impact on the Patient
- Impact on Research: Big Data, IA and ML
- Digital Transformation
- Digital Economy and Health
- Digital marketing applied to Health systems
- Information and Information Security
- Management of ICT in health management
The Master in Digital Health Management is designed with the aim of prepare the student for:
- Understand the domain of ICT in Health, its characteristics, the field of applications and the current evolution lines.
- Know the discipline of biomedical informatics, its relationship with the medicine from its origins, its taxonomy as a scientific discipline, his current status and a clinical perspective of his future.
- Know how organizations and professionals in the health sector use ICT for their activity, their needs and the prospects of change.
- Know how citizens and patients interact with services and ICT applications, their requirements and development potential
- Lead and participate in the conception, development, implementation and management of ICT products and services for Health.
- Advise on the use and application of innovative ICT in the health organizations.
- Know the structure of the ICT market for Health.
Syllabus of Digital Health Management
The structure and duration of the Master in Digital Health Management allows us to ensure the achievement of the objectives previously specified. Next, you will find more details about the modules in which this program and its contents are divided:
This module has an introductory character. The main objective is to bring the student to the "new" health system, through the analysis of the impact that the digital transformation has had and is having on the health system.
Some of the topics to cover will be:
1. Introduction to different systems and health models.
2. Historical perspective: health information systems.
3. Innovation in the health system.
4. The digital transformation of the health system: global vision of new tools and processes. The implementation of ICT in the health field.
5. Analysis of the impact of digital health in the health sector.
The Clinical History (CH) is the basic element on which the organization of the health system is articulated. This module will allow us to know what it is, its characteristics, functions, benefits and especially the impact of digitalization (EHR) with the configuration of a longitudinal, integral and population register based on the integration and the necessary interoperability.
To understand the structure and dynamics of an EHR, we will cover:
1. The concept of clinical information and its representation in medical acts and nursing procedures.
2. The repertoire of information and terminology, guidelines and integration profiles.
3. The interoperability mechanisms based on the electronic exchange of data, the architecture of clinical documents and the configuration of resources.
4. The different approaches in the integration of systems with message routers, service platforms and process choreography.
Digital health is already changing some of the current healthcare practices and the healthcare process will be transformed in the coming years. How professionals adapt to this new paradigm and their ability to lead these changes will mark the evolution of digital health. In this module, the keys to understand the new role of the health professional will be given, to know the technologies and tools that are transforming decision making and the process of providing assistance.
The digitalization, telemedicine and genetics are breaking out the personalized medicine as a paradigm towards which all health systems must advance. Learning the basic to help organizations in this direction is the main objective of this module.
Module 4. Impact on the Patient.
The digital transformation of the health environment has exponentially facilitated access to information, the management of people and control about their own health. Through the platforms, applications and wearables, now patients (and also their caregivers) can monitor the development of their illness and share with others (doctors, caregiver...) their evolution and other information relevant to prevention and the treatment.
This empowerment allows the patient to be more and better informed about his illness, to carry out a control over his treatment and to make the decisions for its improvement, changing the relationship of the patient with the management of his own health and with the professionals of the Health.
In this module of the Digital Health Master, we analyze how social networks and other digital platforms have changed the relationship model and have proposed a new paradigm in health care and attention.
Module 5. Impact on Research
The basic introduction to the technology related to Big Data and small data and the differential factors with classical statistics is the starting point for the understanding of precision medicine, its data sources and tool maps: Artificial Intelligence (IA), Machine Learning, predictive analytics, robotics, virtual reality and augmented reality.
Throughout the module, the understanding of the methodology of the research, in health, will allow to see the different technologies and analyze the impact in:
• The system: science of data applied to health, application of Big Data to population health research and macro-management.
• In basic and applied research: application of Big Data to phenotypic and environmental data, as well as the profile of the data scientist.
Module 6. Digital Transformation
The digital transformation that has taken place in the environment, over the last few years, has had a considerable impact in areas such as Sanitary. The main objective of this module is to analyze the impact of this in different areas such as Project Management, Innovation Management or health management. Thus, throughout this module students will see the following topics:
• Health Management and Management in the context of eHealth.
• Design and management of projects in eHealth, Directorate of health projects.
• Design and co-creation of digital health solutions.
• Innovation Management: the role of ICTs, and eHealth projects.
• Change management in health organizations.
• Entrepreneurship: creation and management of a start-up
• Development of the Digital Transformation Plan in a health center
Module 7. Digital Economy and Health
The objective of this module is to make an introduction to the tools of prioritization and evaluation of health technologies applied in the field of eHealth.
Through a brief introduction to the economy, the economic impact of eHealth will be analyzed in the social and industrial fabric. There will be an introduction to the theoretical foundations of economic evaluation and health technologies in order to analyze the impact of interventions in eHealth: safety, effectiveness, efficiency, within the framework of evidence-based medicine.
Finally, it is also intended to introduce and relate fundamental concepts such as business models, systems and financing mechanisms and the collaborative economy, within the framework of eHealth.
Module 8. Digital marketing applied to eHealth systems
The first impression of people and organizations is digital, this environment forces to have and manage hybrid identities that will contribute to forge the reputation and that should be promoted in different online media. The objective of this module is to know the own and foreign digital spaces in which the different health entities must be present, as well as to understand and take advantage of the social media applied to health. Throughout this module, the student will understand the demands of the new emerging patient, learn to design a digital strategy for a health organization, and will see the keys to effectively communicate and promote the digital presence through the development of digital marketing activities in the organization.
Module 9. Information and computer security
With the introduction of new digital tools, computer security and recorded information becomes key, which is why throughout this module you will see the following topics:
• The Protection of Health Data. Legislative framework, sectoral aspects and new European framework agreement.
• Patient safety. Access control, medication errors. Help the decision. Diagnostic help tools.
Module 10. Management of ICT in health management
This module has a generalist character and has to objective to introduce, to students, the role of Information Technology as a business strategy. In it, the main specific systems for Hospital Management (HIS) and those of internal processes (ERP) will be presented. The student will see the bases to carry out a correct identification and attention to the needs and requirements of the health systems and services that allow an optimal use of ICT in Health.
Finally, the keys to establish the strategic planning of the systems and the subsequent development, implementation and management of information systems in organizations related to the health system will be emphasized.
Simulaciones y casos prácticos
El contenido del programa tiene una carga teórica sólida para ofrecer a los alumnos la posibilidad de fortalecer sus capacidades, pero no olvida que el mundo de la gestión de salud se desarrolla en un área que es también social, en la que los actores participan de sus decisiones en un entorno donde existen reguladores o personas de perfiles diferentes. En este sentido, la componente práctica del programa es indispensable y completa la formación teórica. Para ello, durante el curso se realizarán debates de temas de actualidad e interés en cada una de las asignaturas, simulaciones de tomas de decisiones aplicadas a situaciones reales o la elaboración de casos prácticos donde se analice desde un punto de vista académico los problemas planteados y las soluciones que se propusieron, así como los criterios teniendo en cuenta para llevarlas a cabo.
Requirements of the Digital Health Management
The main aim of our admissions process is to ensure that the candidates are suited to the course. All students must be able to take full advantage of this learning experience, through a context in which it is possible to develop lasting connections with fellow students, teachers and the alumni.
The stages of the admissions process are as follows:
1. Prerequisites for admission
3. Personal interview
4. Cover letter
5. Admissions Committee Evaluations
Faculty of the Master’s Degree in Digital Health Management
- General Director of the Foundation of Higher Studies in Health Sciences.
- Graduated in Medicine (University of Barcelona) and in Health Management at ESADE
- More than 20 years of experience in management and advice on the ICT application of in the health sector.
- He has worked in: AQUAS, the Catalan Health Service, UDIAT, EDS and PWC.
Josep M Picas Vidal
- Graduated in Medicine (University of Barcelona) and specialist in Internal Medicine
- Graduated in Health Management at ESADE Business & Law School
- Manager at the Catalan Health Institute and Director of Information Technology at the Sant Pau Hospital in Barcelona.
- Founder of the start-up Adaptive HS
Josep Vilalta Marzo
- Expert in standards of information models, Use Cases, Agile Methodologies and Controlled Vocabularies, mainly in the field of health information systems
- Certified in "Unified Modeling Language" (UML) by the "Object Management Group" (OMG), and in "Clinical Document Architecture" (CDA) by "HL7 International"
- Founding partner of "Clinical Document Engineering" (CDE) and "vico open modeling" (VICO)
- Director of the training services "vico academy" and "openhl7.net"
Josep Vidal Alaball
- General Practitioner at the Institut Català de la Salut.
- Master in Public Health and Associate Professor at the University of Vic-Central University of Catalonia.
- Expert in TeleHealth and eHealth.
- Member of the ProSaARu research group
Xavier Marin Gomez
- Health Technician of the Primary Care Service at the Institut Català de la Salut.
- Doctor specialize in Family and Community Medicine. Technical Engineer in Informatic Management.
- Clinical reference of ECAP (Primary Care Clinical).
Graduated in Health Services Administration from the University of Business and Social Sciences of Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Leader of the Health 2.0 Community of Buenos Aires, of Co-Salud blog
Computer engineer with more than 10 years of experience in the development of web applications for companies
Currently working in the CRG (Center for genomic regulation) in the development of new programs, applications and projects that improve and / or solve health problems.
Oriol Solà-Morales, MD, MSc PhD
MD specialized in Internal Medicine. MSc from the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) and PhD of Rovira I Virgili University (URV).
Consultant of politics of 2 Health Ministers.
Health planning and hospital administration Management.
Director of CAHTA (Regional HTA) from 2007 to 2011.
- Assistant Manager of Informatics Hospital de Sant Pau in Barcelona
- Member Strategic Committee of ICT of the Department of Health. Generalitat of Catalunya
- Computer Engineer and Master in Information Technology
- Postgraduate in Principles and Diagnostics of Business Strategy.
- Professor of Strategic Management of Information Systems Universitat Oberta de Catalunya
Graduated in Medicine and Surgery (Autonomous University of Barcelona) and Master in Communication Management (Pompeu Fabra University of Barcelona)
Responsible of Communication, e-business and Corporate Social Responsibility.
Member of the board of directors of the collegiate section of health physicians of the Official College of Physicians of Barcelona, and president of the NUTECOM group (New Communication Technologies) of the Association for Health Self-care (ANEFP).
Francesc Lopez Seguí
- Master in Economics at the Erasmus University of Rotterdam and doctoral student at the Pompeu Fabra University and the Health Department of the Generalitat de Catalunya, where he collaborates with the ICT Foundation for Social Health.
- Dedication60 ETCS
- InitiationMay 2019
- Term10 months
- Price6.500 €