Online Executive MBA
Innovative strategies, growth and control
Introduction to the Executive MBA (EMBA)
The changes that the world has recently gone through mean that we have to carry out an in-depth analysis of the new competitive stage and the application of new business models. The increasing and complex volatility of economies around the world and their undeniable interdependence places us in a context that is marked by uncertainty and ambiguity.
Against this backdrop, professionals must respond quickly to change and make the decisions that are most suited to the new needs of the business, without neglecting value creation for the company’s stakeholders.
The Executive MBA (EMBA) in Spanish from OBS Business School has an impact on the strategic, innovative and international vision of Business Management, in that any head of a business organisation, or of a department thereof, should have a holistic vision of the business and the understanding that all strategic decisions should be brought in line with the strategy of the business in an innovative way.
The programme focuses on developing the necessary skills for leading a business project, taking responsibility for a department of a business or starting up a business of one’s own.
The Executive MBA (EMBA) in Spanish has been specifically designed for people with extensive professional experience who wish to expand their knowledge in fields that may be of interest due to their current responsibilities. Most importantly, it is for professionals hoping to achieve promotions by adding greater value to their CVs or who are thinking about changing fields.
Lastly, we wish to highlight the Final Project, which gives students the opportunity to take on the development of a Business Plan, along with all the complex details that are associated with launching a business idea. This module is not just focused on creating a business, it also allows students to open their minds to new action plans that they could develop in their current positions.
Some of the career opportunities that may be of interest to you, among others, are:
- Health Sector
- Pharmaceutical Industry
- Manufacturing Industry
- Communications and advertising businesses
- Regulatory bodies
- Technology sector
- Private Banking
- Service sector
- Consultancy firms
- Infrastructure management
- Multilateral institutions
Aims of the Executive MBA
- Attaining the ability to continually develop the most relevant management competencies.
- Providing an integrated global overview of general management and the role of the business in the broadest sense. Becoming aware of the global nature of business activity, differentiating between the different responsibilities assigned to the different departments in a company.
- Providing the students with a broad perspective on businesses, the understanding of this complex system and ever-changing reality.
- Promoting a proactive attitude and active management.
- Acquiring key knowledge and developing essential abilities for the strategic leadership of business activity.
- Drawing up innovation strategies and policies that improve business management and efficiency.
- Drawing up and implementing growth strategies, adapting to changes in the international business sphere.
- Promoting teamwork and involving all the departments of a business with the management of business projects.
- Providing students with solid business training, highlighting the latest trends and newest aspects of business management.
- Incentivizing the development and improvement of personal and executive skills.
- Improving skills among executives for decision-making against a backdrop that is becoming ever more complex and unstable.
- Promoting skills for detecting, analysing and solving problems and also the entrepreneurial spirit through drawing up a Business Plan.
Syllabus of the Executive MBA
The Executive MBA is split into four stages, during which different areas of knowledge and skills will be worked on concerning the different departments of a company. The stages align with the strategic business training process: drawing up a strategy, implementing it, growth strategies and strategic control and monitoring.
Over the course of the year, you will gain executive skills and obtain the most cutting-edge, practical and innovative business knowledge for leading a department or a business.
> Global Economic Context
Running a global business requires great skill when analysing the main macroeconomic forces at play (culture, politics, law and economics). In this module you will gain knowledge and learn to interpret how economic integration processes develop, and about the role of the government in the sphere of international business, which will allow you to identify the main goals and opportunities for a business at all times.
> Organisational Design
In this block you will become familiar with basic and technical elements related to analysing the competitive advantage of global institutions. It deals with themes that are of both classical and contemporary importance, such as industry analysis, the core competence of institutions, upper management and corporate governance teams, the scope of product and market decisions and value chain analysis. You will study the design and structure of organisation and how they react to environmental forces and internal conflict.
This module covers a series of basic and technical elements related to analysing the competitive advantage of global institutions. It deals with themes that are of both classical and contemporary importance, such as industry analysis, the core competence of institutions, upper management and corporate governance teams, the scope of product and market decisions and value chain analysis.
> Financial Diagnostics
Financial Diagnostics introduces you to corporate finances (financial management of businesses and investments). You will acquire tools and learn the frameworks for analysing financial decisions based on the principles of contemporary financial theory. During the course, you will deal with issues such as discounting techniques for cash-flow, budgeting and assessing capital, investment decisions in uncertain conditions, options and efficiency of the market and financial policy for businesses.
> Marketing: From the Idea of the Market
This module is focused on designing and implementing an exciting combination of marketing variables for carrying out the strategy of a business towards its target market. We will introduce you to the underlying concepts and theories in decision-making in marketing and we will provide you with the basic principles of the marketing mix. You will gain in-depth knowledge of marketing management strategies, segmentation, targeting and positioning.
> Strategic Management and Innovation
This is an advanced course on competitive strategy. As a student you will learn to evaluate the strategic position that a business occupies and you will cover topics that include both the process and the content of competitive action and reaction, strategic models, branding as a source of competitive advantage, methods for comparing offers and competitive strategies, decision trees, scenario analysis and competitive intelligence.
> Corporate Financial Management
The aim of this course is to teach you take the best decisions regarding investment and financing. The topics covered include evaluation of financial results, assessing assets, capital budgets, risks and returns in the context of capital asset assessment models, the theory of the structure of capital, dividends policies, financial planning and budgeting, and long-term planning and financial projection.
> Internationalisation and Global Marketing Strategies
This module is focused on developing and implementing marketing strategies on a global level. The topics covered include strategies for internationalisation and entering foreign markets, analysing market studies, consumer behaviour, developing marketing programmes, designing products and services suited to the global and local markets, selecting distribution channels, setting prices for products/services and portfolio management.
> Staff Leadership and Talent Management
The aim of this course is to develop you as an executive and a professional so as to contribute to the success of an organisation by connecting talent with human resources and the strategy of the organisation. In this respect, the course offers the students a general overview of the most important topics, theories and practices in the field of Human Capital Management.
> Operations and Supply Chain Management
We offer you a systematic approach for solving a wide range of problems that may arise when managing operations and the supply chain; from a general management perspective, rather than that of just an operations specialist. We will focus on fundamental issues in the fields of operations and technology management, which have become the central pillars for global operations. We will also present you with a selection of key tools and the techniques that have been proven to be of most use for supply chain management. The topics covered are equally relevant for the manufacturing and service sectors.
> Digital Marketing Strategies
In this module, participants will learn how digitalisation has revolutionized the interactions between companies and their customers / consumers. The digital ecosystem offers powerful tools to reach consumers along the sales pipeline: online graphic ads increase awareness, search listings reach consumers with purchase intention, e-commerce facilitates conversion and social media provides dynamism and contributes to customer loyalty. In this course, we will cover the what, why, and how of the current major approaches, including search engine optimization, website analysis, search and display ads, email marketing, social media, and listening/monitoring online..
> Strategies for Digital Transformation
This is an integrating module covering all the strategic aspects of the administration of information technology in the company. Information and communication technologies play multiple roles within an organizational context: a) from a technological perspective, they define the information and communication infrastructure of the company and allow new ways of digitizing business processes; and b) from a managerial perspective, they facilitate a new coordination and communication within and between entities, allow new forms of organization, change the information environment underlying the business and allow new incentive structures. Successful digitization efforts must take into account both technological and managerial perspectives. Based on real cases, this module will study how the implementation of information technology changes the interactions and processes within organizations and with other stakeholders.
> Data Analysis for Decision Making
This module develops the necessary qualitative thinking and quantitative skills for the analysis of managerial data. The analysis of data and decision making under uncertainty explores the possibilities of using statistical data to create models that help management decision making. This course develops experience in a standard set of statistical and graphical techniques, which will be useful for analysing data related to the business. These techniques are widely applied in a number of management areas, including operations management, marketing, finance and economics. The module offers a different perspective of statistics as a methodology to face uncertainty.
> Cross-cultural Management
This course has been designed to develop you as a global business leader. During the course you will cover the main management issues that businesses have to face when working internationally. The contents include the current international context, the effects of globalisation on business management, the cultural dimension of international management and cultural communication and leadership.
> Management Control and Planning
The aim of this module is to focus on the organisation of information which businesses require for decision-making. The correct planning and suitable control of management are crucial for backing up these decisions. The organisation and structuring of the diverse information contained in a business’ product is necessary for determining the profitability of the products and for making decisions, such as choosing whether to purchase or produce internally, whether or not to market a certain line of products, managing production capacity, etc.
> Commercial and Sales Management
In this course you will cover the basic aspects of commercial and sales management. You will analyse the concepts and contents of commercial management policy, as well as the organisation, planning and aims of commercial activity. We will cover topics such as forecasts and sales quotas; territory organisation; the specific aspects of the sales force; training, motivating and remunerating the sales force and sales control actions.
> Investment Assessment and Portfolio Management
This course will introduce you to the concepts of risks and return, fixed and variable income, options and futures contracts. During the course we will evaluate the set of alternatives for investment in future instruments and their risk profile. As a student, you will analyse the characteristics of expected returns, individually or as part of a portfolio. You will use different strategies and assessment models to understand the basic principles and practices of investment.
> Monetary and Capital Markets
The aim of this module is for you, as a student, to acquire the skills to allow you to demonstrate your understanding of a financial system, its components and how it functions; analysing the yield curve; the time structure of interest rates and their interaction with the exchange rate; sources and types of financing for businesses, in the short-, mid- and long-term; the structure and function of financial institutions and markets; the main types of risk and derivative products available for managing financial risk; the structure, function and the role of supervision in financial markets.
Developing Leadership Skills Modules
> Leadership and Change Management
This course goes beyond the basic understanding of effective leadership and focuses on achieving high-impact leadership. Leadership in an organisation centres on the design of the organisation and how the executives can make their organisation more efficient, maximising the performance of its members. Part of the course focuses on problems at an organisational level, such as the way in which an organisation should be designed; which strategy should be followed and how conflict and the endemic politics of the life of the organisation can be addressed. This course will teach you to analyse individual yield problems, within the framework of complex organisations and the ways of managing change processes.
> Negotiation and Conflict Management
We will present you with and apply the main negotiation and conflict resolution techniques in an international context, with the aim of you understanding the steps taken during the cross-cultural negotiation process, as well as the skill to form strategies that will allow you to apply this to specific situations.
> Entrepreneurship Initiative
This course provides you with the tools they need to fully understand the entrepreneurial process. The course is focused on recognising and seeking out business opportunities, evaluating the viability of new projects and learning to manage growing businesses.
Business Plan Modules
> Developing Global Strategic Plans
A full and well-developed business plan is the reference framework for a global business and an essential tool for entrepreneurs. The process for drawing up a business plan offers an in-depth look into the complex interdependence of the functional elements of a business: marketing, finance, management, leadership and operational systems.
> Drawing Up a Business Plan
For the Final Project of the Master’s Course, you will have to draw up a Business Plan as a practical application of the knowledge they have acquired over the course of the programme. This can be done through an existing business or a new undertaking. The work is done under the supervision of the academic department and follows a plan of partial submissions, which will allow development to be monitored. The Business Plan is a team-based project.
Skills Development Programme
This course has been designed as a complement to the thematic blocks with the necessary training required to help you to internalise them.
The training has been planned as a three-pronged strategy: starting with technical help, giving technical support to the student, and finally, approaching the individual and group challenges that are necessary for reaching set goals.
Furthermore, your level of progress will be continually measured for developing resources and potential in human resources management and implementing any necessary measures for improvement.
The introduction of a Business Game over the course of the programme will allow you to put your analytical skills to the test as well as your strategic thinking in a competitive environment.
The students will be organised into teams, taking on the role of executives who have to deal with the demands of a business, from the strategic approach to the profit and loss statement.
The module deals with business performance and, as a student, you will have the opportunity to bring together different aspects of your knowledge that you will have developed over the course of the programme.
The focus of the module is to identify and analyse the sources of profitability available for the business and to draw up strategies to access and make use of these sources of profitability. In other words, the module is focused on analysing competitive advantage.
Requirements of the Executive MBA
The main aim of our admissions process is to ensure that the candidates are suited to the course. All students must be able to take full advantage of this learning experience, through a context in which it is possible to develop lasting connections with fellow students, teachers and the alumni.
The stages of the admissions process are as follows:
1. Prerequisites for admission
3. Personal interview
4. Cover letter
5. Admissions Committee Evaluations
Executive MBA Certificate
The people who pass the programme evaluation and comply with the academic requirements, established by the University of Barcelona (UB), will receive a UB qualification.
In order to obtain a UB qualification, you need to have a University Degree (Engineer’s Degree, Bachelor’s Degree over four years or Bachelor’s Degree over three years). If you do not have a University Degree, once you have passed all the evaluations you will receive an extension diploma from UB.
Programme Director Executive MBA
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, University of St. Thomas (Houston, Texas)
- Master’s Degree in Marketing Management and Commercial Management from ESIC (Madrid, Spain)
- Degree in Clinical and Industrial Psychology (Caracas, Venezuela)
Javier De Miguel Luken
- General Manager at Topminds
- DEA (Agro-Food Business Management) Programme
- Business School: I.I. San Telmo
- Degree in Business and Economic Sciences University of Malaga
Lorenzo Muriel Redondo
- PhD of Business Administration and Management at UPC
- Director Master in Executive Coaching and Leadership, OBS Business School
- Head of Organizations Area at Carl Rogers Institute
- METS Partner (Metabolic Energy Training System)
- Coach certified by ICF Master in NLP. Gestalt Institute
- Degree in Law
- Partner and SME consultant at External Partners (www.externalpartners.es)
- Executive MBA from ESADE
- Degree in Business and Economic Sciences from UB
- Assistant European Corporate Controller & Internal Auditor at KAO Corporation
- Master’s Degree in Auditing from UVIC
- Degree in Business and Economic Sciences from UB
- Investment Director of Allianz Popular (Allianz Group).
- PhD in Economics from the San Pablo University-CEU.
- Member of the investment committee of Popular Banca Privada and the high-income committee of Banco Popular.
- Associate professor at IE Business School and CUNEF
- Bachelor of Business Administration and Management
- EMBA by IESE Business School.
- Consultant Partner at Zentank Partners
- Executive MBA from IE
- Digital Transition Consultant and Trainer in digital skills
- MBA from IESE
- Degree in Business Administration and Management from UB
- Independent trainer and consultant in the field of marketing, communication, branding and sales
- Promoter, strategist and manager at the freelance community, EFECTO ANCHOA
- Currently studying for his PhD
- Head of marketing and sales at various national and international companies
Susana Fuentes Rodríguez
- Business Intelligence Manager in Grupo hna, Jazztel, Daemon Quest.and Everis.
- Speaker and member of the Advisory Board of the IKN Insurance Revolution. Computer Engineer from the ICAI (U.P. Comillas).
- Engineer in Management Computing by the ICAI (U. P. Comillas)
Eduardo Rafael Sifontes Prieto
- Coordinator of Strategic Management Program, Universidad Católica Andrés Bello
- Msc in International Finances, Universitat de Barcelona & EAE Business School
Santiago Tintoré Codina
- Sales Development Manager, Grupo Danone
- Degree and MBA in Business Administration and Management, ESADE
- Lecturer in Recruiting and Retaining Talent
- Consultant for e-Learning projects
- Degree in Administrative Computer Systems
- Degree in Management Science from the Monterrey Institute of Technology and Higher Education (Mexico)
- PhD in Management Sciences from ESADE
Ignasi Estruch Goicoechea
- Process and Innovation Project Director, ACC10
- Autonomous Government of Catalonia (Generalitat de Catalunya)
- Executive Master’s Degree in Supply Chain Management
- Engineering Degree in Industrial Organisation, UPC
Manuel Gutiérrez Escofet
- CEO Sermentalv- Voestalpine
- PGD, Executive Education, IESE Business School
- Multiregional International Business Program, University of Wales, Swansea
- BA in Management & Business Administration
Manuel Lucena Giraldo
- Researcher of the Superior Council of Scientific Research of Spain and associate professor of the Instituto de Empresa.
- Visiting professor at Harvard University
- Lecturer en Stanford University
- PhD in American History
- Digital Strategy Chief at InkaFarma
- MBA, Management and Strategy. Monterrey Institute of Technology
- Engineering and IT Degree, Pontifical Catholic University of Peru
- Senior Asset & Wealth Management Professional
- Postgraduate, Masters in Portfolio Management. IEB
- MBA in Marketing y Finanzas, ESADE
- MsC in e-business, Universitat Ramon Llull
- BA in Administration and business management, Universitat Abat Oliba
- Consultant and Coach at Maite Rico Escofet
- Consultant and trainer (especially for the pharmaceutical industry) TEAM 2000, S.L.
- Postgraduate Degree in Economics and Business Management from the UAB
- Degree in Workplace Psychology from UAB
- Dedication60 ECTS
- InitiationMay 2019
- Term11 months
- Price13.700 €